If your child is experiencing a dental emergency including pain, swelling, or dental trauma, please contact our office immediately at (734) 663-2490. One of our pediatric dentists is available after hours for emergency calls.

What if my child has a toothache?

If your child has a toothache please call the office to set up an appointment for evaluation and treatment of the pain. To help manage the pain at home your child can take over-the-counter pain medication. Please contact your pediatrician if you have any questions about the proper pain medication dosage for your child if you are unsure. You can also apply a cold compress to the area of pain. DO NOT place a hot compress or aspirin in the area.

What if my child’s mouth is bleeding?

If your child’s gums, lips or mouth are bleeding following trauma apply pressure with a gauze or washcloth to the area. If the bleeding cannot be controlled with pressure please call our office.

What if my child’s baby tooth is knocked out?

If your child’s baby tooth is knocked out please contact our office immediately. The baby tooth should not be placed back in the child’s mouth due to the risk of damage to the adult tooth that is still developing underneath the gums. If possible, please try to locate the baby tooth to make sure the child did not swallow or breathe in the tooth and to evaluate the root of the tooth.

What if my child’s adult tooth is knocked out?

If your child’s adult tooth is knocked out please contact our office IMMEDIATELY! Time is VERY important in these situations and we need to see your child as soon as possible. Please try to find the tooth and rinse gently in cool water. Avoid touching or scrubbing the root of the tooth.

If possible, replant the tooth in the socket in the mouth and have the child bite gently on a clean gauze or washcloth until you get to our office. If you are not able to put the tooth back in the socket, place the tooth in a container of cold milk, saliva, or water. Bring the tooth and your child to our office immediately. The faster you act, the better the chances are of saving the tooth.

What if a tooth is chipped or fractured?

If your child chips or fractures a tooth please call our office. Depending on the size of the chip or fracture of the tooth your child may require immediate dental attention. If you can find the broken tooth fragment, place it in a container of cold milk, saliva or water and bring it to your dental appointment.

What about a severe blow to the head or jaw?

If your child has had a severe blow to the head or jaw please call 911 and seek immediate medical attention at a hospital emergency room. A severe head injury can be life-threatening. If your child shows signs of concussion including but not limited to: loss of consciousness, blurred vision, and/or vomiting, please seek treatment at a hospital emergency room.